The Black Dog Institute is open to media enquiries regarding any organisational or representative activities and requests for expert comment.
Lisa Sawyer | Media and Public Relations Manager
|Phone: 02 9382 3712|
|Mobile: 0455 100 277|
The Black Dog Institute welcomes media enquiries about news releases and content produced by the Black Dog Institute. We can also suggest relevant spokespeople to provide expert comment on various mental health-related topics.
You can find our most recent media stories on the News section of our website.
If you would like to stay updated with the latest news from the Black Dog Institute, please fill out the form below:
Fields designated with a * are required
Thank you for adding your name to our Media Release list. You will now receive all media releases from the Black Dog Institute.
We appreciate that there is a great deal of creative work being undertaken to help bring awareness to mental health issues and that this can contribute to the recovery process for many people.
Unfortunately, we receive a large number of requests to promote external work and so we can only provide promotional support in the following circumstances:
- The event is being run by or involves a Black Dog Institute researcher or senior staff member;
- Production of the creative work (literature, video, art etc.) has involved a Black Dog Institute researcher or clinician from the early stages. We ask that you don’t contact us with a completed work;
- The event/work is evidence-based and aligns with the values of Black Dog Institute as an organisation.
If you meet the above requirements, then please send an email to the Marketing and Communications team with your enquiry.
Black Dog Institute ambassadors and community presenters give their time voluntarily to provide event support, and deliver community, workplace and school presentations sharing their lived experience.
While we do have a broad network of spokespeople across Australia and will do our best to fulfil your request, please note that we cannot ensure that we will have a spokesperson available for the day of your event, or for every media request.
Enquiries for spokespeople can be sent to our Education team via email
Journalists seeking case studies should email our Media team
Fundraisers and events
We will provide promotional support to official Black Dog Institute fundraising events - events that have been registered with us and that have an official fundraising page. Find out more about that here.
For any fundraising-related enquiries, please email the Fundraising team
Before contacting the Black Dog Institute with a request for help with University assignments in journalism or related subjects, please consider and prepare the following:
- The Black Dog Institute is a not-for-profit and has limited capacity. Only requests sent with a minimum of 10 working days’ notice before your deadline will be considered.
- The Black Dog Institute is a medical research institute focussed on mental health, and the research projects we undertake are based on current needs in the field. Please refer to the Research and Clinical Resources sections of the website before sending a request to ensure your request aligns with our expertise.
- We can provide background information on mental health-related topics, however, we cannot prepare bespoke content and can only provide academic papers, website links and general resources.
- We will only be able to assist with interview requests that have a clear objective and deadline. Please also advise in your original email if the article/work will be used outside of the assignment, i.e. a feature article for an assignment which is then pitched to media.