Learn about upcoming opportunities, different roles and make an enquiry about volunteering for mental health and suicide prevention.
Volunteers are a vital part of the Black Dog family and we are incredibly grateful for all their hard work. We have a range of volunteering opportunities to suit different skills.
Select from the below options to find what role works best for you.
Current volunteer positions
Community Office Volunteer
The purpose of this position is to assist the community education team with follow up from presentations, collection of feedback from organisers and collation of evaluation data. This helps with quality assurance of our programs to ensure our sessions shave an ongoing impact.
- Following up with organisers that hosted Black Dog Institute community and school presentations via phone calls to ascertain
- Number of people in attendance
- Feedback about the session
- Inputting this into an online platform
- Gatheirng feel good stories or areas for improvement
- Further contacts that may be interested in a presentation
- Collation of evaluation data in Excel and SPSS
- Maintain a detailed records of target groups and contact history
- Provide additional administrative support to the community team as required
- Adhering to Black Dog Institute policies and procedures as they relate to the role.
1. Over 18 years of age
2. Friendly, engaging communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills
3. Confident speaking on the phone
4. Passionate about improving mental health and well-being
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
6. Attention to detail - ability to maintain sustained level of concentration in a volume processing activity to ensure accuracy and identify errors to be addressed.
7. Well-developed computer skills, including Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
8. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team effectively.
9. Availability to come into Randwick Office, a day a week for a 12-month period
1. Experience working with community groups and schools
2. Use of Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
For more information, please download the Position Description.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for applications is 26th of February 2020.
Youth Presenter- Coolangatta, QLD
Youth Presenter- Melbourne, VIC
Community Presenter- Townsville, QLD
Community Presenter- Adelaide, SA
Info about volunteer roles
Our team of Community Presenters deliver mental health awareness presentations throughout Australia. Community Presenters help to increase mental health knowledge in the community, an understanding of help-seeking options and services, and advocate for empathy towards those experiencing mental health disorders.
As part of these presentations, our Community Presenters share their personal insights of living with, or caring for, a loved one with depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. This aims to combat the stigma associated with mental illness.
If you are interested, please fill out the expression of interest form below and select the 'Community presenter' option.
Our Event Support volunteers form an enthusiastic team who help us out with community events associated with the Black Dog Institute. Event volunteering is a great way to be involved in a fun day, meet like-minded others, and support your favourite charity – us!
The support roles differ depending on the type of event, but can include activities such as helping out with event registrations, event marshalling, working on drink/food stations for sporting events, and the collection of donations.
If you are interested, please fill out the expression of interest form below and select the 'Event support volunteers' option.
Our team of fundraising volunteers assist in attending fundraising events and cheque presentations throughout Australia. Fundraising volunteers increase mental health knowledge in the community, an understanding of help-seeking options and services, and share with the public the work that Black Dog Institute undertakes.
As part of being a fundraising volunteer, the role would be responsible for attending events in their area, delivering a short 5-15 minute speech on the work of Black Dog Institute and be available for cheque presentations.
We have volunteers who volunteer with us once a year at specific events (such Exercise Your Mood Walk), some who volunteer on a more regular basis (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) and those who volunteer for ongoing, longer term commitments.
If you are interested, please fill out the expression of interest form below and select the 'Fundraising volunteer' option.
Office Support volunteers provide valuable administrative support to the Black Dog team at our head office located in Randwick, Sydney.
We are also privileged to have talented individuals who contribute their skills in graphic design, marketing and communications, research, and other fields to support the work undertaken by the Black Dog Institute.
If you are interested, please fill out the expression of interest form below and select the 'Office support volunteer' option.
Marian Spencer Head of Operations People and Culture
"As part of the passionate and collegial team at Black Dog you will be contributing to the translation of innovative research into services and programs that are creating mentally healthier lives for all."
If you would like to enquire about working at Black Dog, please contact our Operations Team via email