SHUTi is an internet based self-help program for people with insomnia that clinical trials have also found to reduce depression and anxiety symptoms.
It delivers Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Insomnia techniques used by doctors, psychologists and leading sleep experts.
When used correctly, it can be as effective as working with a sleep expert, can produce the same level of improvement as sleeping medications and enables lasting and more permanent improvements in sleep patterns.
Watch this video about Shuti
How it works?
SHUTi is designed to actively help retrain the body and mind for great sleep through six engaging cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia online learning sessions.
Each online learning session is personalised to the individuals current sleep patterns and goals, and walks them, step-by-step, through exactly what they need to do to maximise their sleep improvements, now and for the future.
SHUTi also teaches techniques to break the cycle of thoughts, feelings and behaviours that interfere with restful sleep.
Who's it for?
Requiring minimal technical skills, SHUTi is suitable for people who:
- suffer insomnia
- are aged 18 years and over
- read English with ease.
What's the commitment?
- Most SHUTi users complete the program in under 7 weeks.
- Each week, you're required to complete a 25-40 minute online learning session.
- Completing the online sleep diary component takes around 2 - 3 minutes each day.
What's the evidence say?
SHUTi has been validated across multiple Randomised Controlled Trials (RCTs). It has been proven to:
- significantly reduce sleep onset (i.e., time it takes to fall asleep)
- reduce wake after sleep onset (i.e., minutes awake during the night)
- reduce number of awakenings, and improve sleep efficiency (i.e., percentage of time asleep while in bed)
- significantly reduced anxiety and depression.
Participants maintained their improvements when measured at six months after receiving SHUTi.
Black Dog Institute researchers, in partnership with the Australian National University, University of Sydney and University of Virginia have also trialled SHUTi within an Australian population. Called the GoodNight Study, our results further validated the efficacy of SHUTi for reducing insomnia, anxiety and depression, with these improvements persisting for at least six months.
Trial outcomes were published in The Lancet.
What's the cost?
SHUTi is provided by BeHealth Solutions and is available at a discount through Black Dog Institute.
$200.00(26 weeks - one time fee)
$270.00(52 weeks - one time fee)
Information for health professionals
Resources for health professionals about SHUTi
- Watch a short video Dr Charles Morin, International Sleep expert talk about SHUTi
- Download the Information for health professionals brochure (PDF, 386KB) for:
- information and tips about referring patients to SHUTi including a simple conversation guide for talking to patients about SHUTi
- links to more information about e-mental health.
- Download the Technical information for health professionals brochure (PDF, 341 KB) for more comprehensive information about SHUTi.
The benefits of integrating SHUTi into your practice
- Provides convenient, flexible and easily accessible support that is available anytime, anywhere. This is particularly valuable where face to face psychological services are limited.
- It’s relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of face to face therapy.
- Can provide an introduction to therapy, or an alternative for people averse to face-to-face treatment.
- Saves you time and can reduce wait lists, allowing you to focus on patients for whom e-mental health approaches are not appropriate.
- e-Mental health interventions are cost-effective and can be disseminated to large populations.